Re: [asa] Rejoinder 1B from Timaeus: to Mike Gene, Jack Syme, et al.

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 24 2008 - 10:44:40 EDT

Timaeus,

Good stuff.

You said: *[In orthodox neo-Darwinism] Nobody's running the show.*

I respond: I think any TE who is not a process theologian will agree (and
even some process theologians will agree) that this defnition of
neo-Darwinism is fundamentally inconsistent with theism and particularly
with Christian theism. None of the Christian TE's I have ever met,
including the folks on this list, would accept the notion that "nobody's
running the show." But now we have a definitional problem, because I think
that definition of "neo-Darwinism" is contested. Most of the folks here
will say that neo-Darwinism / evolution as a science simply elides
metaphysical questions about who might or might not be running the show.

You said: *By "theistic Darwinism", I mean a form of theistic evolution
which asserts both that God directs or pre-plans evolution, and that
evolution takes place by Darwinian mechanisms. The problem arises, of
course, in that those mechanisms, as understood by Darwin and his later
successors, do not allow for God to direct evolution personally. This means
that the theistic Darwinist must either fudge on the Darwinism, i.e., say
that Darwin was wrong about the adequacy of his mechanism, or abandon direct
divine governance of evolution and push God back to the role of a
front-loader.*

I respond: I see two problems with this statement.

The first is the definitional problem mentioned above. You are defining
"Darwinism" differently than any TE I've ever met. Obviously, if
"Darwinism" by definition means "no God allowed," then the game is over. I
cannot understand why ID advocates don't seem to believe TE advocates when
the TE folks say "that's NOT what we mean by 'evolution'."

The second problem is this dichotomy between "direct divine governance" and
"push God back to the role of a front loader." When you say "direct" divine
governance, what do you mean? What would "indirect" divine governance look
like and how would it be distinguished from "direct" divine governance?

It seems better to speak in terms of causation. Orthodox Christian theology
holds that God is sovereign, and therefore everything is in some sense
"governed" by God. Yet, orthodox Christian theology also allows that God
doesn't necessarily "cause" everything that happens. For example, God is
not the cause of evil, but at the same time the existence of evil does not
diminish God's sovereignty. Aquinas worked through this tension using the
concepts of primary and secondary causation (see the Summa Contra Gentiles).

Why can't this same concept of distinguishing sovereignty and causation
apply to nature? Take the example of the birth of a baby. Psalm 139 tells
us that God "knits" and "forms" the unborn baby in the womb. When we
baptize or dedicate an infant, we declare that this child is a special gift
from God, not a random accident.

Yet, we can't scientifically detect any "direct" knitting or forming of the
fetus by God. By ordinary observation, the baby's development seems like a
seamless developmental garment, starting with fertilization and ending in
birth. Yes, there are some critical periods in which development
accelerates, and there are some aspects of cell differentiation for which we
don't yet have a full explanation, but there is no suggestion that these
"gaps" can't eventually be explained. Moreover, the fact that *this* sperm
fused with *this* egg and that the zygote survived to make *this* baby seems
like a stochastic event. There does not seem to be any explanatory filter
for which gametes will survive to produce babies -- aside from the Darwinian
filters of selection.

Are these facts about babies a theological problem for Christian theists? I
don't think so. God's "knitting" of the baby is a picture of God's
sovereign providence, which in this instance is completely transparent to
what we observe in nature.

It seems to me that the same *could* be true for the history of life on
earth. Of course, this doesn't mean it *must* be true -- God is free to act
as He chooses. But if it is the case the evolution is a seamless garment of
secondary causation, I don't see that in itself as a problem for Christian
theism.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law