Re: [asa] Conversation with Timaeus, part one

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Sep 24 2008 - 09:04:00 EDT

The 'terminology vs. substance' issue is crucial in the realm of communication. This is not simply about biology or about biological evolution (you know, George, I have a harp to play on 'varieties of evolutionism'). Only those who support 'biologism' would suggest that it was. I personally think there's little 'substance' to TE other than 'accommodation,' which is the point Timaeus made in his opening post - a point which not one TE/CE (or otherwise) at ASA has yet addressed. The majority of responses (many of which I heartily agree with in criticising IDM-ID) have been to challenge ID, not to volunteer anything about the criticisms Timaeus made about TE.

"[T]here is simply no point in adjusting Christian theology to accommodate Darwinism if Darwinism, in the final analysis, is a much weaker and more questionable theory than everyone supposes." - Timaeus

I am glad that you do not 'rule out' miracles, George, because as it turns out, you are a Christian Priest! Christian Priests by definition *should* believe in miracles!!! If the origin and development of life didn't involve miracles (clearly, you say 'mustn't have' or 'needn't have' rather than 'didn't'), then it seems Creation is much less meaningful than the vast, vast, vast majority of Christians, Muslims and Jews that I have ever met (on four continents!) would support. Darwin's universe is apparently a universe 'without miracles,' without higher purpose, without plan, without guidance, without teleology, without design - even if he personally argued with himself about religious issues in private. This is why Darwinism (if not evolutionary biology) is hollow!

If you want 'more evidence of miracles,' as Arthur Peacocke said as I witnessed (audited) in a room represented with Orthodox Christian Priests, only to be told by one that he was 30 years behind the times (of course he critically objected!), then don't please depend on 'scientific knowledge' for confirmation of 'miracles.' There are 'other' types of knowledge and experience than a 'purely scientific' one that count in this discussion. Physics carries no priviledge anymore in this regard; it is biology that holds the reigns of relevance and there are 'dissenters' from Darwinism in the realm of biology (e.g. Lynn Margulis, Michael Behe, Michael Denton, etc.) whose voices have started (some time ago) to be heard.

The visible/invisible distinction is not helpful to your position, George, because it shows that 'invisible/hidden theistic evolution' is a marginal one and not a common perspective. [Humbly I suggest that you read Heidegger's philosophy to 'uncover' the 'hiddeness' that you profess in your trinitarian theology - to more openly encounter the Spirit. Even better the philosopher N. Berdyaev or Fr. Sergei Bulgakov. Most people (including TEists) believe in miracles (no matter if Dawkins says they are naive or stupid or lost to do so) which can be touched, smelled, tasted, heard or even seen!

Why can there not be 'miracles' revealed in the so-called 'process' (which is a redundant term - i.e. evolution is predominantly if not completely about 'processes') of 'biological evolution'? Yes, I believe there can! And you know this (if only as an echo of a resounding voice) and that is why 'theistic evolution' is merely a shadow of an accommodationist doubt rather than fireworks and sunshine for a new generation.

Gregory Arago