Re: [asa] Re: microevolution (Baraminology)

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 19:15:53 EDT

As developed in these examples, baraminology is pretty much YEC
evolutionary biology.

One note on the Hawaiian taxa-I've seen the claim that the Hawaiian
fruit flies all being assigned to Drosophilia reflects the boundaries
of a "kind", i.e., no new genera. In reality, the reason why they're
all put into one genus, along will loads of other fruit flies, is
because the standard lab fruit flies turn out to not be all that close
to the official type species of Drosophilia. Nobody wants to change
the name of a species that probably has millions of papers written
about it, so instead, the definition of Drosophilia is very broad.
There are, however, weird fruit flies on other islands that are
assigned to different genera.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections