Re: [asa] Conversation with Timaeus, part one

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 11:01:34 EDT

Gregory -

Since I've sometimes been critical of your posts in the past I want to say 1st that your comments below are certainly of interest & to the point. Let me respond briefly. (& please remember that, as I said before, my communications may be spotty for a few days.)

1st, I should have added mutatis mutandis to the comparison of myself with John Galt. Of course I am not an adherent of Rand's "objectivism" for which Galt is a mouthpiece. Atlas Shrugged is pretty heavy handed. (As one of my friends noted, "All the characters are either absolutely good or absolutely evil, & you can tell which are which by their names" - vgl. "Hank Rearden" with "Wesley Mooch.") Still Rand has some nice touches, the scene I mentioned being one.

Then to your primary point. In fact western theology in general tends to be weak on the role of the Holy Spirit in the world (as distinguished from the church), a weakness that our Orthodox brothers & sisters often remind us of. (Whether or not that is due primarily to the filioque is another matter.) Lutheran theology doesn't ignore the Spirit but it isn't a lot better than other western traditions in this regard, & in some ways is weaker. (z.B., the objection of some Lutherans to the invocation of the Spirit in a Eucharistic Prayer.) We need to do better here - myself included.

As far as my own approach is concerned, note 1st that what I posted was an extremely brief summary of my position directed to one particular question. In other venues I have given more attention to the role of the Spirit. You might note, z.B., the first section of my chapter on biological evolution in The Cosmos in the Light of the Cross titled "The Lord, The Giver Of Life" - which is of course one of the phrases about the Spirit in the Nicene Creed. A paper by another Lutheran theologian, Ernest Simmons, "Toward a Kenotic Pneumatology: Quantum Field Theory and the Theology of the Cross" is referenced in this chapter (note 31). You could also look at my PSCF article "The Third Article in the Science-Theology Dialogue" at http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1993/PSCF9-93Murphy.html . Note there in particular this paragraph from near the end:

It is important to emphasize that this eschatological activity of the Spirit, and our recognition that the Spirit is at work in this cosmic fashion, begin from the cross. When Jesus promises the gift of the Spirit at the Feast of Booths, the evangelist tells us that "as yet there was no Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified" (Jn. 7:39), which in the Fourth Gospel takes place on the cross. And when we are told that, on the cross, Jesus "gave up his spirit" (Jn. 19:30), this refers both to his death and to the gift of the Spirit, which is "made official" when he appears to his disciples on Easter evening (Jn. 20:22-23). There is no proper cosmic spirituality which does not begin from the cross.

I try to be fair & reasonably objective but make no secret of the fact that I attempt to approach these matters as a theologian of the cross. That's simply a matter of making my basic assumptions - my "worldview" if you will - clear. In that I make those basic assumptions I am admittedly not completely "even handed" - who is? As a scientist I have problems with some of the typical claims of ID, though neither biochemistry nor information theory is my specialty. But my primary criticisms of ID have been theological - & as you know I've generally gotten little response from ID advocates, who often claim that ID has nothing to do with theology! For a brief statement of my concerns you & Timaeus & others might want to look at http://puffin.creighton.edu/NRCSE/IDTHG.html .

As to those who were born before Christ, note my reference to "God's historical revelation centered in Jesus Christ" - d.h., what the OT witnesses to.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm