RE: [asa] Re: microevolution (Baraminology)

From: Duff,Robert Joel <rjduff@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 22:37:12 EDT

The BSG info is some of the most fascinating YEC reading out there. I had been collecting manuscripts and other YEC writings on bariminology for the past month but hadn't yet read the Wood et all paper that is often cited. After reading it and a few other abstracts I find this new evolution of YEC thought to be worth pursuing further. Once this literature begins to seep into the more general YEC non-technical (I suppose some would say it is all non-technical:-) literature it will be interesting to to see if the YEC spokespersons begin changing their language. I have to admit I've already found their use use of rapid evolution to be very useful when talking to students. I give a series of lectures on the Hawaiian islands and their flora. During those talks I emphasize how different the organisms of Hawaii are from all other on earth. So many different species and even genera of organisms are found there. It is also quite evident, as well, that they are similar based!
  on genetic and sometime crossing studies, to other organisms on various continents. I then work the story of founder effect, genetic isolation and adaptive radiation to provide a possible explanation for the unique nature of the Hawaiian flora. It makes quite a bit of intuitive sense and I emphasize that this is macroeovolution happening here even including the origin of new characters. I allow for an anonymous Q&A period at the end and there are always those that object that I've been teaching them macroevolution and will state that all these species were created separately. At that point I show them a variety of quotes from this bariminology literature and from Ham himself that make it clear that all the "evolution" I have shown them is actually accepted by many in the YEC camp. This comes as quite a shock but makes the obvious point that most people have an over-simiplified view of what creation and evolution are. I do go on to point out that the evolution of the ha!
 waiian flora and fauna are not necessarily demonstrating bacte!
 ria to h
umans evolution but I leave with the point that the break point between macro and micro evolution is not as clean as most believe and I challenge them to point out exactly where that break is and what determined where it should be placed.

Some quick highlights from recent literature:

One of the abstracts by Wise actually makes the argument that most large groups of mammals evolved from pairs of individuals after the Flood. The argument is partially a response to the position of mammal fossils in the flood. interesting this includes, in his opinion, the entire cetacean clade including the fosssil taxa. To me this is as close to admitting that all of the whales/dolphins all evolved from a small semi-aquatic mammal as you can get. Effectively he is accepting nearly the entire modern view of the origin of the whales except for the timing of the diversification events.

Likewise, he would argue that all 400+ (I didn't know there were that many) elephant like organisms in the fossil record all belong to one kind and thus had a single origin after the Flood. Apparently, in his view, the fossils are all derived from post-Flood burial events such as during the ice-age.

The thing that gets me about all this adaptive radiation after the Flood in to these new environments is: where did all the genetic variation come from? Presumably a great number of the species in the fossil record were derived from radiations from the original created kinds (there weren't that many because Adam only had a short time to name them!). So God presumably endowed the original created kinds with tremendous genetic variation and potential. However, what I do not see addressed is the problem that by time you get to the Flood that variation has been sorted out into many lineages (species within a kind) and if only 2 animals representing a kind were on the ark that then would seem to necessitate taking a pair of animals that represent only one species and was already genetically isolated and putting them on the ark. When they got off the ark, they would not have the genetic potential that presumably these original created kinds had?

Interestingly, the same other of the cattle paper I referenced before has another paper on the goat/sheep baramin (kind). This one is entitled: “Identification of species within the sheep-goat kind (Tsoan monobaramin)” Journal of Creation 20(3): 2006. In this article the author argues that the sheep and goats are part of the same Monobaramin and thus all derived from just a few animals that came from the Ark. So all that variation in coats, hooves etc in these animals are all new variations that have arisen in the last 4500 years. The article uses essentially the same logic as the article on cattle. What I was struck by was a paragraph in the conclusions:

“The variation present within the Tsoan monobaramin is from both the variety created in this baramin initially and changes that have been acquired throughout history. Some characteristics naturally change as a result of environmental changes, for example growth of a heavier winter coat and molting. However, the variation within the monobarimin far exceeds this. Mutations, any acquired change within the genome, have historically been considered to be due to random copying errors. As such, they do not significantly add information and often result in disease. However, within the last several decades evidence has been found that some changes within bacterial genomes are directed. Such mutations can be initiated by environmental signals which allow change in a part of the genome that si likely to help the organism adapt.”

Taking it one sentence at a time, first, variation is both part of creation and the result of additional changes in genomes since. This point is certainly reasonable. Second, some characteristics naturally change.. I am not sure what “naturally” means but it is presumable as a result of the original genetic variation that God has bestowed on the animal. Third, she states that the varation with the monobarimin far exceeds this apparently natural variation from creation. I have to give her credit for what many YECs do not recognize and that is that there is far more variation in the genetic architecture than can be stored in a single pair of animals and therefore new variation must originate after the creation. Fourth, she then proceeds to suggest that maybe not all mutations are as bad as the typical YEC mantra would suggest. In the end she uses new mutations to allow the genome to adapt to its new environment.

Another quick note on another recent pub:

 Oct-Dec Answers Magazine: Leapin’ Lemurs by Dan Breeding.
The article talks about how many kinds of lemurs there are and how they live in diverse habitats and have so many adaptations to those habitats. The author makes no attempt to describe how these diverse adaptations may have come about but does refer to the origins of lemurs as perhaps having rafted across to Madagascar on log mats after had made there way down into Africa after getting off of the Ark. The implication seems to be that some Lemur-like animal could have made its way to Madagascar and then evolved into the 88 various lemurs that are present today which are all considered to be part of the same monobaramin. What is ludicrous about this is not only the incredibly rapid evolution required and the idea that Lemurs would make there way to Madagascar leaving no relatives anywhere else in the world but that Madagascar is the only place in the world where there are fossils of Lemurs. Are we to believe that prior to the flood some lemurs were killed by the flood and !
 their bones were laid down only in sediments that then made up Madagascar and that after the flood lemurs made there way back to live on top of the rocks which bear their own ancestors?

The article does not acknowledge any of this and even highlights the incredible abilities of lemurs as gifts by God. “When I look at Maddy (his pet lemur), I wonder how some people can believe she is the result of evolutionary processes. Showing Maddy to people give me the opportunity to explain what an amazing designer our God is. He have lemurs exactly what they need to live in the treetops of Madagascar…” I don’t know if Dan believes that all 88 lemurs rafted the island (an even more unbelievable proposition), but it is clear from the other articles I’ve been reading that the YEC position on baramin allow for remarkable amounts of speciation and that most would undoubtedly believe that all lemurs are of the same kind and could have their origins in a single pair. Like the cattle athe lemurs have experienced adaptive radiation into new environments and that is macroevolution according to any secular evolutionists. Furthermore, Breeding’s point above is that these ama!
 zing features are the result of amazing design and not evolution. I’m sure the readers will assume that God created these features as they are seen today (Breeding does state they were created with sharp teeth but were not carnivores before the fall) but the YEC “experts” really see this as adaptions by design not direct creation by design. That evolution of characters they may say results from God’s plan but their description of how that adaptation actually occurs really does not differ from standard evolutionary theory, other than the speed at which they evolve, they just don’t see it as chance even if it appears that way.