Re: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 22:23:26 EDT

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Jim Armstrong wrote:

> Just to briefly wave a flag on a prior theme, I think the back and forth
> technical and logical arguments among those who are inclined to do so are
> certainly beneficial to those with the preparation to engage and
> understand them. However, the largest audience disposed toward YEC
> positions do so pretty much by default, and without technical or critical
> preparation. The arguments that speak to them are more about plausibility
> and fit with their existing world view than about technical argument
> (which they are unprepared to assess) or logic (which quickly loses them
> and is easily overridden by passion).

I think that this pretty well describes the most likely audience that has
been affected by the YEC proponents. They don't have the scientific
background to evaluate the supposedly scientific YEC arguments. They also
have a fair amount of knowledge of the Bible and want to believe that what
they are told is consistent with it.

Valid scientific arguments may not get very far with them unless they are
simple and readily understandable. Maybe a brief history of cosmology
would convince some of them that the Big Bang is good news. They may
comprehend tree rings and annual layers of glacial ice more easily than
radioactive decay as methods of dating.

I think that correcting theological errors is more basic than the
scientific arguments. It would be counterproductive to speak disparagingly
about biblical literalists as many secular critics do. Many of the claims
that present-day YECs would want us to believe are biblical are ones that
most Christians were not aware of until rather recently. It would be good
to be able to explain why so-called biblical literalists did not believe
them in the past and why some of them do not fit the scriptural witness
except by contorted eisegesis.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)