RE: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 11:23:53 EDT

Yes, though I would like to tweak it a little…

1) About 95% of all meteorites are stone type. But these deteriorate
quicker and they are much harder to notice since they look like normal
rocks. Also, these are not magnetic, so the simplest test (magnetic) for
meteorites does not work.
http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter/stone.html

I suspect much of the confusion may have come from the Moon Dust argument.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/moon-dust.html Petterson posited a
meteorite rate upon Earth of up to 15 million tons per year. Actual results
seem to be 18,000 to 25,000 tons per year. This later value equates to
about meter in 4.5 billion years for Earth. They also mention meteoritic
dust within strata, which should be found in all the strata and probably is.

Meteorites are becoming more interesting to many folks since there can be
big money offered for the larger meteorites found. Prices range from
about 20cents per gram to $500 per gram.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~dfronfld/metfs.htm Finding large number of
meteorites in quarries and coal mines might be a profitable way to refute
the original claim that they don’t exist in strata. J

“Coope”