Re: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 11:21:27 EDT

Randy -

I think we need not, & in fact should not, be quite as nice in dealing with YEC claims as you suggest. I don't want to be misunderstood - we shouldn't engage in mudslinging campaigns &c. But ridiculous claims should be called ridiculous without any euphemisms. (There's a difference, to recall Pauli, between "wrong" and "not even wrong.") And while ad hominem attacks should be avoided, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't call attention to the fact that many YEC practitioners are guilty of one or more of the following - carelessness about claims, not bothering to check the facts, misrepresentation of the scientific &/or theological views of those they oppose, and scientific &/or theological ignorance. & we absolutely should call attention to such behaviors and those who practice them. We need, e.g., to be willing to tell people, e.g., "You cannot trust what person X says about these matters because he/she has a history of demonstrably false statements about them" - with documentation. & no, we shouldn't add "We're sure he means well" or some such mollification. You know what the road to hell is paved with.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm