Re: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 10:56:12 EDT

Michael wrote:

I agree, Michael, and this is a dilemma, especially for an organization like ASA. A large number (I presume a majority but we haven't done the study) of ASA members want to move on to more interesting and productive discussions. Yet at least a third or so continue to ask about YEC (and ID) issues. If YEC were a small, low-key minority in the church, we would indeed take a different view. But it isn't. Burgy keeps saying "YEC has won" and I understand his point--the ubiquitous teaching of the John MacArthur's and the like is a rather strong YEC position. Hence, it is part of our responsibility to calmly and methodically respond, without using ridicule or sarcasm or ad hominems and the like.

The people I'm most interested in reaching are those who are honestly seeking but haven't seen or been exposed to other material. Last week a 12-th grader wrote to me asking for help. He wasn't being very successful with his arguments against evolution on his own blog. He wanted me to provide him with some definitive arguments that would convince those who were debating him. After some correspondence, it seems he is only aware of the standard Christian school curriculum A Beka. I pray that his eyes will be opened.

Randy

  What else could one do with the time spent on this type of thing?

  How many man/woman hours are spent in refuting YEC?

  What I have always found is that if a YEC argument is presented as plausible, research ALWAYS finds it wanting. That can take a long time.

  It also undermines whatever else John Macarthur does. Surely he should check out the science given to him as well as studying the bible etc?

  Michael