RE: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 08:44:04 EDT

[I see my rushed response didn't answer your question. Sorry.]

Here is a paper addressing meteorites found within the Ordovician strata in
Sweeden:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1996E&PSL.145...31S

This site gives further information:

http://www.meteorite.fr/en/basics/charts.htm

"The oldest intact meteorite [based on time on Earth] is the Lake Murray
iron. A single mass with a thick iron-shale was found in a gully in
Oklahoma, USA, in 1933. The meteorite was imbedded in some Antler Sandstone
dating from the Lower Cretaceous, suggesting that Lake Murray landed in a
near-shore, shallow sea, while these beds were being deposited about 110
million years ago."

"Most meteorites weather away quite quickly in the oxidizing environment of
the Earth, while some meteorites may literally be observed as they rust
away. However, other meteorites fell at more fortuitous locations and were
preserved until this day, e.g. in the ice fields of Antarctica and in the
hot deserts of Africa. Some of them have been preserved for as long as
40,000 years or more. Indeed, there are some meteorites found to be much
older still - those that have been preserved in sediments or in other
geologic strata conducive to preservation, often referred to as "fossil
meteorites"."

[I respect John McArthur on other things.]

"Coope"