Re: [asa] Microevolution

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2008 - 05:22:51 EDT

The discussion over 'kind' is a rather important one (though rarely discussed and instead largely assumed) in the human-social sciences as far as the project of human-social science is based on the uniqueness of human beings in the animal kingdom. One doesn't, after all, do a sociology of kangaroos or a political economy of jaguars! This is where the pressure of 'being scientific' is sometimes over-whelming; e.g. the fields of socio-biology and evolutionary psychology appropriating terms from human social thought, dictating to them as real scientists speaking to softies and blurring the distinction between human beings and (other) animals.

This is what I find challenging in what Jon's thread has now approached, the idea that "it would seem not to be a special inherent and inherited biological characteristic that sets us apart as having the "image of God"."

If it is not an 'inherited biological characteristic that sets us apart as having the 'image of God'," but rather a spiritual (i.e. not a 'natural') characteristic, then doesn't this provide grounds for saying that human beings are a separate (or unique or special) kingdom?

There is a proposal for viewing human beings as a sixth kingdom, symbolia:

http://www.biospheres.com/humanity.html

I'd be glad to hear, perhaps in this or another thread, of anyone's familiarity with this perspective and any comments about it. Such a move would seem to give the 'according to kind' approach a new dimension, raising new problems and challenges along the way.

Gregory