Re: [asa] Microevolution

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 22:40:01 EDT

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Jon Tandy wrote:
>
>> b. God created the various "kinds" and told them to reproduce "after their
>> kind", which is taken to mean that there can't be change between species.
>> They continue to reproduce according to how God created them originally.

I have never been able to decide what "after their kind" really means. It
seems to be some sort of idiom, but my problem is finding a meaning that
makes sense in all the instances in which it occurs.

The only instance in which it is used with respect to reproduction is in
connection with plants producing seed in Genesis 1. With respect to
animals it is said that God made them after their kind, but no mention is
made of their reproduction. This phrase is also used of the animals taken
on the ark. Finally, it is used in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 with
certain entries in the lists of clean and unclean animals, where it may
mean "and others like it"; at least that is what the translators of the
LXX thought.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)