RE: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 16:24:21 EDT

The primary period of cometary and asteroid bombardment ended more than 3.8
billion years ago. There is also a Late Heavy Bombardment period:
{http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7041/full/nature03676.html]

Geological strata is much younger, of course, so a lack of meteorites is
expected. There was much happening during the first billion years or
so: nearby stars would send nascent Oort Cloud objects plunging in, most of
the planets were migrating inward, smaller particles were moving outward due
to Solar outflows, planetary resonances tossed objects to and fro, etc.
Once the planets settled into their orbits and the disk vanished, only
occasional meteor activity occurred. The few meteor showers we see today
come as a result of the Earth intersecting the orbit of a comet.

The problem is in the original premise, “if the meteor flux was essentially
constant”. Bah!

“Coope”