Re: [asa] meteorites in the geologic column

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 15:57:01 EDT

A quick look on talk origins gives the following.

Sad isnt it?

It is amazing how people put such ideas forward, but then as a Brit I cannot even defend the Royal Society anymore

Michael

Meteorites are never found in deeper strata.
Source:
Brown, Walt, 1995. In the Beginning: Compelling evidence for creation and the Flood. Phoenix, AZ: Center for Scientific Creation, p. 27.
Response:
  1.. Several meteorites have been found, in strata from Precambrian to Miocene (Matson 1994; Schmitz et al. 1997). There is evidence that a major asteroid disruption event about 500 million years ago caused an increase in meteor rates during the mid-Ordovician; more than forty mid-Ordovician fossil meteorites were found in one Ordovician limestone quarry (Schmitz et al. 2003). In addition, many impact craters and other evidence of impacts have been found.
Links:
Matson, Dave E., 1994. How good are those young-earth arguments? http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-yea.html#proof4

Littleton, Keith, 1999 (Jun 5). Re: Young earth evidence - meteorites. Message ID <5jd63.82$jF.61128@ralph.vnet.net>, http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=5jd63.82%24jF.61128%40ralph.vnet.net
  2.. Schmitz, B., B. Peucker-Ehrenbrink, M. Lindstrom, and M. Tassinari, 1997. Accretion rates of meteorites and cosmic dust in the Early Ordovician. Science 278: 88-90.
  3.. Schmitz, B., T. Häggström and M. Tassinari, 2003. Sediment-dispersed extraterrestrial chromite traces a major asteroid disruption event. Science 300: 961-964. See also Martel, Linda M. V., 2004. Tiny traces of a big asteroid breakup. http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Mar04/fossilMeteorites.html