Taking the Religion of Scientism to a new level Re: [asa] This is seriously funny

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 08:27:04 EDT

Yes it is ... as are most things published at the Onion. (Try giving up
traditional media for a week & read only the Onion - it will do wonders for
your mental health!)

Then there is this article "California Erects First Temple to the Worship of
Science<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/california-erects-first-temple-worship/story.aspx?guid=%7B863CD544-CA2A-4630-8B73-0CB23CA97893%7D&dist=hppr>".
There were a few things in this that are way funnier than the Onion's take
... except, after reading it I'm not so sure this is a joke. (I did quickly
check of the calendar to see if it was April 1st).
Here's a snippet:

> This week, Mr. Keats goes public with his plans. "The essence of religion
> is stained glass and song," he says. In the case of the Atheon, the stained
> glass is patterned to show the cosmic microwave background radiation --
> capturing the universe in the first several hundred thousand years of
> creation -- using NASA's new WMAP satellite data. "The cosmic microwave
> background is the sky's natural stained glass, our origin story imprinted on
> the cosmos," explains Mr. Keats. "And now it's visible to us for the first
> time, glowing through the windows of the Atheon."
>
> The song composed for the Atheon is equally scientific, a canon for three
> cosmic voices titled "Why Is There Something Rather Than Nothing?" The canon
> is comprised of sounds pulsating through several hypothetical universes as
> well as our own living cosmos, musically arranged by Mr. Keats using audio
> files produced by University of Virginia astronomer Mark Whittle. According
> to Mr. Keats, "these universes don't provide any answers. If people are to
> find spirituality in science, it's likely to be by immersing themselves in
> questions."

 (HT: James Kidder<http://scienceandcreation.blogspot.com/2008/09/only-in-berkeley.html>
)
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:02 AM, James Patterson
<james000777@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> Everyone deserves a good laugh - it's Friday!
>
> http://www.theonion.com/content/news/evolutionists_flock_to_darwin
>
> The Onion - America's Finest News Source
> Evolutionists Flock To Darwin-Shaped Wall Stain
>
> "DAYTON, TN-A steady stream of devoted evolutionists continued to gather in
> this small Tennessee town today to witness what many believe is an image of
> Charles Darwin-author of The Origin Of Species and founder of the modern
> evolutionary movement-made manifest on a concrete wall in downtown Dayton."

Steve Martin (CSCA)