RE: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 15:07:18 EDT

________________________________
From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu] On Behalf Of Don Winterstein
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:56 PM
To: asa
Subject: Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

On the question of particle acceleration. The invention that will shrink this to a desktop experiment will almost certainly involve a new approach to the problem altogether, one which is not the equivalent of dropping pianos off a 20 story building and deducing their structure from analyzing the sounds made when they hit the sidewalk.

One more comment: The piano analogy is inappropriate. It may be OK for atomic physics, but it's misleading for particle physics. If we want a musical instrument analogy for particle physics, here's how to go: When we smash two pianos together at high speed, what comes off is not pieces of broken pianos but various kinds of fully functional musical instruments. We get horns, clarinets, violins, drums, etc. Often some of these instruments almost instantaneously convert to still other instruments. For example, a violin might soon become a flute and a piccolo. What's of interest is not the pianos we start with, but all the different instruments that come off in the collision. It would be would be particularly exciting to see a God instrument, predicted but so far not seen.

This analogy illustrates an important way that particle physics differs from nuclear and atomic physics: you wind up with a whole lot of things that often bear little resemblance to the things you start with. Understanding this may help discourage facile comparisons of progress in experimental particle physics with progress in electronics. Particle physics is remote from everyday experience. As in: way, way remote.

Another thing is that smashing pianos together at low speed will generate no new instruments at all, so high speed (high energy) is essential. This is because we're creating musical instruments not out of the pianos' hardware but out of the pianos' relative speed! Try getting those pianos up to lightspeed on a desktop.

Don
Piano's don't make other instruments, so maybe a better idea is to smash pianos (as a black box, internals unknown) to see what they are made of (pieces of metal spring, wood splinters, etc.).

If smashed too slowly, nothing happens. Put them on two trains, give them two miles to run at each other, then see what happens after that collision. There's no other way to do it, right?

Sooner or later the whole thing is understood and modeled on a laptop computer and can be simulated. In fact- it becomes a video game called "rock this" where you can blow up any musical instrument to see how it is built.

...Bernie