RE: [asa] physics questions (surf. brightness)

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 13:00:18 EDT

I should have qualified “surface brightness”: it is the amount of light
being observed that Is coming from a unit area. It is a measure of flux per
square arc minute, for example. [The human eye has a resolution of about 1
square arc minute, so objects that appear smaller than this are seen as
point sources only (until magnified with telescopes, of course).]

As a bonus question: How much brighter (total flux seen or avg. surf.
brightness) is a full Moon vs. a quarter Moon (when of the Moon’s disc is
illuminated)?

“Coope”