Re: [asa] Physics poser

From: <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 23:13:27 EDT

Hi Jim,

My initial reaction:

Nobody would ask the question unless the answer was counter-intuitive!

therefore, (contra the obvious) the balloon would move forward.

Why?

Because air ALSO has mass and tends toward the rear of the vehicle under
acceleration. Being heavier than the helium filled balloon the air would
therefore move to the rear of the vehicle pushing the helium filled baloon
forward.

My "confirmatory" thought experiment is to imagine what would happen if the
car were half-filled with water - under acceleration water to the rear, air
forward. So lighter fluid displaced to the front of the vehicle when under
acceleration.

Thus endeth my speculations...

Blessings,
Murray Hogg