Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 21:16:30 EDT

[Now that I'm home, I can read more peacfully and your question is quite logical.]  It is better to fire the second stage asap after separation of the first to spend less time in the stronger portion of the gravitational field.  The more time spent closer to Earth, the more the stronger gravitational field will pull on the ship.   Coasting will cause the ship to slow down at a faster rate than it will when it is further from Earth, so "give it the juice". Coope ----- Original Message ---- From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz> To: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com> Cc: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>; asa@calvin.edu Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:29:04 PM Subject: Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge George Murphy wrote: > 3)  I still haven't checked Ley's book.  But while you wait, here's another good general physics problem for the list.  If you've got a 2 stage rocket, do you separate & fire the 2d stage when the 1st has exhausted its fuel or when the combination has reached apogeee (the top of its trajectory)?  & why?  First pair of correct answers wins a table of even primes.  >  My off-the-cuff guess  is that it is of prime importance to separate the 2nd stage and burn up the fuel of the second stage as soon as possible, in order to reduce the mass (and hence the "weight" in the Earth's gravitational field) as soon as possible. I already have lots of tables (with a single entry) of even primes! Don