Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 18:29:04 EDT

George Murphy wrote:
> 3) I still haven't checked Ley's book. But while you wait, here's another good general physics problem for the list. If you've got a 2 stage rocket, do you separate & fire the 2d stage when the 1st has exhausted its fuel or when the combination has reached apogeee (the top of its trajectory)? & why? First pair of correct answers wins a table of even primes.

My off-the-cuff guess is that it is of prime importance to separate the
2nd stage and burn up the fuel of the second stage as soon as possible,
in order to reduce the mass (and hence the "weight" in the Earth's
gravitational field) as soon as possible.
I already have lots of tables (with a single entry) of even primes!
Don