Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 17:23:09 EDT

1) The electrons don't see the pipe as being a few km long. If they're quickly accelerated close to c, it's a lot shorter for them.

2) "Longitudinal mass" is a measure of a particle's inertia - i.e., how hard it is to change its speed &/or direction - if it's to move in a straight line. "Transverse mass" is a measure of its inertia if you try to accelerate it at right angles to its motion - i.e., make it move in a circle. Of course in general the acceleration will have components both tangent to & perpendicular (transverse) to the particle's motion.

But again, that's a somewhat old fashioned approach.

3) I still haven't checked Ley's book. But while you wait, here's another good general physics problem for the list. If you've got a 2 stage rocket, do you separate & fire the 2d stage when the 1st has exhausted its fuel or when the combination has reached apogeee (the top of its trajectory)? & why? First pair of correct answers wins a table of even primes.

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm