RE: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 12:39:50 EDT

 Hi George,

[George wrote] 1) Here's an amusing, though relativistically simple,
question. (In fact I was asked it during my grad school oral comp.) Since
the source for electrons at an accelerator like SLAC are emitted at random,
& since the target is a few km away down a pipe only a few cm in diameter,
how does any significant fraction of those electrons manage to make it to
the target?

I would assume the huge mag. field controls their vector, but that is too
obvious an answer, so..?

2) A slightly pedantic comment on "increase of mass with velocity": That is
an old-fashioned, though not "wrong," way to speak about relativistic
dynamics. But if it's to be used it's necessary to remember that in such a
formulation the "longitudinal mass" of a particle differes from its
"transverse mass." The former is mG^3 while the latter is mG, where m is
the rest mass and G = 1/(1 - v^2/c^2)^(-1/2). Many popular discussions
incorrectly use the transverse mass when talking about straight line motion.

This is interesting. What is transverse mass? I can envision the
contraction, but does it squash outward from the direction of travel? [Is
the negative exponent correct?]

 3) On Burgy's earlier comment, I'm not sure that it was Clarke who first
suggested multi-stage rockets. I need to dig out Willy Ley's book on the
history.

There seems to be a number of inventors dating as far back as the 14th
century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistage_rocket

I vaguely recall that it was not part of the original Von Braun program, but
came in to solve the Apollo weight dilemma.

"Coope"

Shalom
George
http://home.neo.rr.com/scitheologyglm