[asa] Michael Reiss and Royal Society: Shame on them

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 10:30:07 EDT

I was shocked by the way in which Michael Reiss was forced out of his
position at the Royal Society this week. If you haven't caught up with this
yet, do a google search for "michael reiss royal society" and you'll see
what I am referring to.

Michael is an important member of our sister organization, Christians in
Science, and a highly competent expert in medical ethics and science
education. His comments about responding seriously to creationists in
science classes are IMO absolutely on target. The comments from some
leading scientists in the RS who oppose what he said, it seems to me,
reflect both ignorance of the origins controversy (with which we here in the
US have much more experience than our friends across the pond) and arrogance
about science education itself (on that score we can match the Brits). What
Michael was calling for, apparently, was some serious talk about how science
works and what science is, and why creationism fails to qualify as science.
Why distinguished scientists would not want that to happen in science
classes is beyond me: shame on them.

I am thinking of writing a pointed letter to the RS about this. I urge
like-minded ASA members to do likewise.

Ted