Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 04:53:08 EDT

I think Bernie has not given sufficient thought to the nature of the problem. Otherwise, he would not so faciley expect human ingenuity to solve it.

The problem is, how do you get a particle with energy of perhaps a few MeV to be a particle with energy in the TeV range? What are possible sources for that energy? The only sources with TeV energy that we have access to are cosmic rays. If you could get such a cosmic ray to transfer all its energy to your particle, you could solve the problem in a thimble.

First, you'd probably have to wait much longer than 10^6 years with your apparatus in outer space for such a cosmic ray to hit your particle. Second, once it hit, it would not transfer all its energy to your particle but would instead generate a zoo of energetic new particles. Besides, long before your particle would be hit by a TeV cosmic ray, it would have been hit by many cosmic rays of lower energy. So that approach won't work. If you knew when and where energetic cosmic rays would hit, you'd just use the cosmic ray itself in your experiment instead of your particle.

Since there's no usable source of TeV energy in the world, you can't boost your particle into the TeV range with a one-shot process. You can do it only with a multi-shot process. However, the most powerful sources of energy on Earth generate only small fractions of a TeV. This means that each of those "shots" can give your particle only a small boost, so it takes a great many such shots in succession to attain your goal.

How can you fit those many "shots" into a small space? As Kirk pointed out, you could make your particle travel in a circle and boost it more with every traverse. But there are fundamental physical constraints on the size of the circle; it's gotta be big. Or you could boost it along a linear path, but then the total traverse would have to be miles.

We can't give big energy boosts to particles because there are no sources of big energy on Earth for us to draw on. It's not that humans aren't smart enough; it's that Earth has no suitable resources.

Don