RE: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 21:17:32 EDT

I know not much about the fundamental principles that might make a particle
accelerator possible in much less than 2 miles, not to mention tabletop.
But a useful analogy might be this: We could speculate about the possibility
of building spaceships carrying humans at 0.9 the speed of light based on
the advance of technology in fuel, materials, etc. But our knowledge of
fundamental principles of physics requires that such speculations remain in
the realm of science fiction probably forever, not ruling out some dramatic
new advance that dramatically sweeps aside our current knowledge.

Jon Tandy