RE: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 17:01:00 EDT

" Getting a tabletop TEV
accelerator is not one where I would recommend putting all your life's
savings."

I can imagine somebody saying the same thing about a table-top ENIAC when the first ENIAC was made. A table-top ENIAC? No way. However, today's laptop is much more powerful. Not only was the transistor not yet invented, the Eniac didn't even use the binary numeral system, which all computers use now. Yes, no way at all to foresee the future. The internet is a recent invention that is having an incredible impact on society and technology, and could never have been foreseen. That's evolution- creating new and wonderful things that can't be imagined in the present state.

Eniac info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

The ENIAC held immediate importance. When it was announced in 1946 it was heralded in the press as a "Giant Brain." It boasted speeds one thousand times faster than electro-mechanical machines, a leap in computing power that has never been repeated. This mathematical power, coupled with general-purpose programmability, excited scientists and industrialists. The inventors promoted the spread of these new ideas by teaching a series of lectures on computer architecture.

Besides its speed, the most remarkable thing about ENIAC was its size. ENIAC contained 17,468 vacuum tubes, 7,200 crystal diodes, 1,500 relays, 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors and around 5 million hand-soldered joints. It weighed 30 short tons (27 t), was roughly 8.5 feet by 3 feet by 80 feet (2.6 m by 0.9 m by 26 m), took up 680 square feet (63 mē), and consumed 150 kW of power.[5]

...Bernie