Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 14:02:29 EDT

Those of us who have grown up with the electronics industry have practically
come to believe that the scaling law is a universal entitlement; we merely
wait for the right invention. In fact, the transistor and the magnetic
storage cell are two rather unique examples with surprisingly few additional
examples. Does anyone know of another? Will there be unforeseen inventions
which will trigger new ways of doing things. Absolutely. Can we predict what
they will be? No. But we can have some guesses. Getting a tabletop TEV
accelerator is not one where I would recommend putting all your life's
savings. Maybe not even a dime of it. At least until Burgy has his rocket
that will take us to Betelgeuse and back in one lifetime.

Randy