Re: [asa] Isaiah 11:6: Wolf and Lamb

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 19:38:48 EDT

I'm not big on working up details of eschatology either, and yet it is
(to the dismay of many liberal Christians) hard to extricate some notion
of end-time hope from core Christian theology. Having said that, I had
never thought of this Isaiah passage in the ways you bring up --that
certainly would fail to match Jesus' answer to the Sanhedrin (...they
shall neither marry nor be given in marriage...). In my own
eschatological simplicity I can only speculate that the Isaiah passage
sounds like it must be referring to something entirely different than
"when our mortal bodies become clothed in immortality" --to paraphrase
Paul in Romans 15. But then this would leave us to speculate on when
the Isaiah prophecies will (or did) occur? And since wolves and lambs
have not entered that blissful state with each other yet, it would seem
to be either colorful imagery or else still in the future.

--Merv