Re: [asa] Isaiah 11:6: Wolf and Lamb

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 17:40:06 EDT

Sorry all - this was an EXCEPTIONAL typo on my part.

I had in mind Isaiah 65:20 (and even checked the reference) where I take the mention of "an infant/the child" to suggest an underlying assumption that people are still marrying and having families;

No more shall an infant from there live but a few days,
      Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days;
      For the child shall die one hundred years old,
      But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed.

And note Isaiah 65:17 which introduces the passage in which the above is found;

For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
      And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.

I have NO idea how I got "11:23" from "65:20"!

I'll repeat that I'm not sure what to make of this - except perhaps that in biblical studies (as in science) one ought to have a certain tolerance for ambiguity! I'm certainly not trying to develop any eschatological claims. I merely note that these verses appear -- even with a degree of reflection -- to stand in some conflict with common conceptions of the eschaton.

I'm open to suggestions as to how such data can be reconciled with common notions of eschatology, but as things stand I wonder if our present conceptions are perhaps not too naive?

Apologies for the quite bizarre typo.

Blessings,
Murray Hogg
Pastor, East Camberwell Baptist Church, Victoria, Australia
Post-Grad Student (MTh), Australian College of Theology