RE: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 12:52:34 EDT

"Back when I was doing particle physics there was a common saying that the science was extremely expensive and had led to nothing whatever of practical value, not even a weapon. I think that assessment is still true."

I wouldn't be surprised that if in 10 or 20 years you could redo the LHC experiment in a small lab. Shrink the technology, with new technology. It is like computers used to fill rooms with vacuum tubes, but today's laptop computers are much smaller and much more powerful. You have to start somewhere.

...Bernie