Re: [asa] Isaiah 11:6: Wolf and Lamb

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 10:01:28 EDT

Yes (and yes also to Murray's comment) -- except that elsewhere scripture
doesn't seem to treat carnivory in general as something inherently evil.
It's also interesting that in the remainder of Is. 11 that discusses the
remnant, there is an apparent allusion to the Exodus (v. 15: "And Jehovah
will utterly destroy the tongue of the Egyptian sea; and with his scorching
wind will he wave his hand over the River, and will smite it into seven
streams, and cause men to march over dryshod. ")

It seems to me there is a thread of "safe spaces" and remnants throughout
the narrative of scripture. Eden is a safe space where there is no
suffering or death; the ark is a safe space for the remnant saved from the
flood; the Mosaic covenant is a safe space for those rescued from Egypt; the
Davidic covenant is a safe space for the chosen nation; the messianic age is
a safe space for the exiled nation; the Church is a safe space for those who
are part of the new covenant in Christ; the New Jerusalem is a safe space
for the redeemed and for all the nations (it is interesting to note, as NT
Wright does, that in Rev. 22 the river of life flows out from God's throne
and the leaves of the tree of life are for the healing of the nations).

Personally, I find it very hard to hold the whole narrative together if the
space of Eden (and the ark, and the exodus) are *merely* accommodations.
Surely the imagery is imagery, and it is culturally common imagery -- but if
in some real sense the "tree" in the eschaton involves a "healing" of the
nations, then it seems to me that in some real sense the "tree" in Eden
represented a real prospect of human flourishing.