Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 12:39:18 EDT

I dont know about the word "predict", but would it "support" the existence
of those who created the theory? Possibly it might. The cosmological
argument for design would seem to include the notion that "consciousness,
life and rationality" derive from broken symmetry (See Stephen M Barr's
book on faith and physics). But where do the symmetries of (a hypothetical)
TOE come from? That question is not answered by the theory. Do the
symmetries have a natural origin or a non-natural origin? I don't think the
scientific materialists have an adequate answer to that question. So, I
don't think a TOE challenges any traditional theists faith. In fact...given
that TOE may be naturalistic, and given that Christianity invented
naturalism, it may possibly do the opposite. Just because naturalism is
distorted today to be in opposition to theism does not mean it necessariliy
is intrinsically in tension with theism.
The primary source of the tension between theism and some naturalists comes
from religionists, not from atheists (ref, Cornelius Hunter, Science's Blind
Spot).

Lisa Randall has said that brane theory has theological consequences.
Good thing she already has tenure or they might expell her.

Best Regards,
David Clounch