[asa] The Social Psychology of the Origins Debate

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 11:24:38 EDT

On this list there has been some discussion on the differences between (and
different approaches utilized by) the "natural" sciences and other
sciences. I would like to take this opportunity to announce a new
"crossover" series entitled "*The Social Psychology of the Origins Debate*".
Marlowe Embree, who teaches psychology at the University of Wisconsin
Colleges, is currently conducting some original research on whether
personality differences affect a person's conclusions regarding creation and
evolution, and how likely they are to change their views. Using this
unique perspective, and an excellent background in both the social sciences
& science / faith issues, Marlowe has written a 7-part series on the social
psychology of the origins debate. The introductory article was published
today on my blog An Evangelical Dialogue on
the remainder of the series will be published over the next 3 weeks.

Marlowe welcomes feedback and questions. From his post:

Since the spirit of this Web resource is to generate dialogue, I'm ending
each of these articles with some questions that I hope will serve as a
springboard for discussion. I invite regular contributors and Web lurkers to
respond to these questions or to generate additional questions of their own.
I'll make a serious attempt to reply in a timely manner. My philosophy of
education is well summed up in the pop culture phrase, "we may not have it
all together, but together we have it all" - as a member of a community of
equals, I'm eager to learn from you and to pool our resources to explore
these issues further.

I invite members of the ASA list to participate in this discussion.

Steve Martin (CSCA)