[asa] The Social Psychology of the Origins Debate

From: Steve Martin <steven.dale.martin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 11:24:38 EDT

On this list there has been some discussion on the differences between (and
different approaches utilized by) the "natural" sciences and other
sciences. I would like to take this opportunity to announce a new
"crossover" series entitled "*The Social Psychology of the Origins Debate*".
Marlowe Embree, who teaches psychology at the University of Wisconsin
Colleges, is currently conducting some original research on whether
personality differences affect a person's conclusions regarding creation and
evolution, and how likely they are to change their views. Using this
unique perspective, and an excellent background in both the social sciences
& science / faith issues, Marlowe has written a 7-part series on the social
psychology of the origins debate. The introductory article was published
today on my blog An Evangelical Dialogue on
Evolution<http://evanevodialogue.blogspot.com/>;
the remainder of the series will be published over the next 3 weeks.

Marlowe welcomes feedback and questions. From his post:

Since the spirit of this Web resource is to generate dialogue, I'm ending
each of these articles with some questions that I hope will serve as a
springboard for discussion. I invite regular contributors and Web lurkers to
respond to these questions or to generate additional questions of their own.
I'll make a serious attempt to reply in a timely manner. My philosophy of
education is well summed up in the pop culture phrase, "we may not have it
all together, but together we have it all" - as a member of a community of
equals, I'm eager to learn from you and to pool our resources to explore
these issues further.

I invite members of the ASA list to participate in this discussion.

Thanks,
 --
Steve Martin (CSCA)