RE: [asa] Providence?

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 08:56:34 EDT

Gregory, I agree wholeheartedly with your view. I have already proposed a definition of science that solves the problem that you are addressing. The subject matter of science is the physical aspect of Nature and the data that constitutes that subject matter is collected by purely physical devices. Any claims that science makes outside the confines of this definition is not valid and is bringing in “data” that cannot the detected by purely physical devices. That is the problem since what people mean by the word “science” is all encompassing and thus becomes totally reductive.

Moorad