Re: [asa] LHC, TOE, and the limits of knowledge

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 02:45:58 EDT

A true TOE would apply at all possible ranges of space-time and energy. We certainly would never be able to test it at all those ranges, so our faith that it is a TOE would need to come from other indicators. If in some formalism we were to suddenly see clearly how all known physical phenomena were interrelated--the role of dark matter/energy, how QM is compatible with gravity, etc., we would be tempted to call that formalism the TOE; and if it seemed to make believable predictions about what goes on in the inaccessible ranges, and if we could find nothing wrong with it over a respectable period, we'd call it the TOE.

Having the TOE in our possession would not mean God does not exist. Perhaps it was always God's intent that humans discover the key to the physical universe. Who can say that's not a big reason why he made us?

Nevertheless such divine intent would fit uncomfortably with much of traditional Christian teaching and emphasis. Where is it written that Christians are supposed to make progress in understanding the physical world? The Christian emphasis instead is on loving God and one's neighbor, setting the mind on things above, all the while living in expectation of ultimate fulfillment at the Second Coming. Fulfillment that the TOE would bring is wholly other.

So while TOE does not imply God does not exist, the very idea generates a certain amount of dissonance with traditional Christianity.

Don