RE: [asa] Interesting web site

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 11:52:24 EDT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Dick Fischer wrote:

> One interesting book as it pertains to Genesis is the book of Jasher on
> this site. In many ways it parallels yet also amplifies the beginning
> chapters of Genesis. Although I can see some differences with Jubilees,
> I don't see any stark contradictions with Genesis 2-11. One interesting
> chapter describes Abram tossed into Nimrod's fiery furnace and unburned
> in similar fashion to Shadrack and friends centuries later.
>
> http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/jasher/home.html
>
> "Is not this written in the Book of Jasher?" - Joshua 10:13.
> "Behold it is written in the Book of Jasher." - II Samuel 1:18
>
> Dick Fischer, GPA president
> Genesis Proclaimed Association
> "Finding Harmony in Bible, Science and History"
> www.genesisproclaimed.org

It is not too surprising to me that this comes from Salt Lake City.

I quote a note from The Expositor's Bible Commentary:
Among the best known English "translations" of an allegedly genuine Hebrew
"Book of Jashar" is The Book of Jasher (the KJV spelling of the word) by
Jacob Ilive (Bristol: Philip Rose, 1829) originally published in London in
1751. Ilive claimed that Alcuin, abbot of Canterbury, had found the Hebrew
text in Gazna, Persia, and had then translated it into English. That
Ilive--a known plagiarist and opportunist--himself wrote the book out of
white cloth, however, is clear froom the patent absurdity of its contents.
The text of the Hebrew "Book of Jashar" has apparently been irretrievably
lost.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)