Re: [asa] Forums?

From: Jack Haas <haas.john@comcast.net>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 10:14:58 EDT
This might be a good point for prayer AND the end of the topic.

Jack Haas

j burg wrote:
We here in Houston have an ugly monster named "Ike" who is coming to
visit this evening.

Burgy

On 9/12/08, Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net> wrote:

Also seriously;  even though I use dial-up at home, I agree that forums
are much nicer and dial-up doesn't prevent me from enjoying either one.
It just helps me maintain a higher threshold of patience.

(...I wish I really did have a barn.   I'd hate to have to keep grumpy
gators in line, though!)
-Merv

Skrogh:   You have a barn? What luxury!

James Patterson wrote:

I'm from Louisiana.

We have gators generating the power.   :)

But seriously, a good forum program can easily be configured to turn off
graphics. Should be no difference in speed for dial-up, AAMOF, just use a
text-based browser. Phpbb isn't bad, especially if you pay for the higher
end one. However there are nice packages that are completely free, use php
and mysql.

It's not that I can't live with listserves...I can. But I've used both
forums and listserves - the forum is better for looking back in time at
threads, for searching, for archiving, for organizing. There really isn't
much competition there. The problem is always getting folks to change.
Grumpy old theologians aren't about changing their ways, lol.

God bless,

James Patterson, Shreveport