Re: [asa] Forums?

From: Merv <>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 07:11:59 EDT

Also seriously; even though I use dial-up at home, I agree that forums
are much nicer and dial-up doesn't prevent me from enjoying either one.
It just helps me maintain a higher threshold of patience.

(...I wish I really did have a barn. I'd hate to have to keep grumpy
gators in line, though!)

Skrogh: You have a barn? What luxury!

James Patterson wrote:
> I'm from Louisiana.
> We have gators generating the power. :)
> But seriously, a good forum program can easily be configured to turn off
> graphics. Should be no difference in speed for dial-up, AAMOF, just use a
> text-based browser. Phpbb isn't bad, especially if you pay for the higher
> end one. However there are nice packages that are completely free, use php
> and mysql.
> It's not that I can't live with listserves...I can. But I've used both
> forums and listserves - the forum is better for looking back in time at
> threads, for searching, for archiving, for organizing. There really isn't
> much competition there. The problem is always getting folks to change.
> Grumpy old theologians aren't about changing their ways, lol.
> God bless,
> James Patterson, Shreveport

To unsubscribe, send a message to with