Fw: [asa] Francis Beckwith on Dembski and Baylor

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 18:23:36 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Roberts
To: David Opderbeck ; ASA
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [asa] Francis Beckwith on Dembski and Baylor

As I thought about this , I think this supports a change in both Dembski and much of the ID movement, so that it became less open and more strident, with an emphasis whoever is not 110% for us is against us. All dating from late 2000. After that ID often became political eg in Ohio and later Kansas and of course Icons of Evolution.

Sceptical supporters were not required and thus later "hybrids" between TE and ID like you and Ted were thrown off UCD. This type of thing prevents constructive discussion. To develop one's own understanding properly one needs a freedom to explore and unfortunately one can only do that outside YEC and ID. This means one can discuss affably with the likes of the late Arthur Peacocke with his very liberal process theology (he always thought I was too biblicist) and his warmth and friendliness also gave a recommendation for his beliefs.

Those who know me will know I was opposed to ID in the late 90s publishing a critical review of the black box in Science and Christian Belief, and then warmed to ID in 2000, only to find the door closing again

Michael