RE: [asa] Greetings - An introduction

From: James Patterson <james000777@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 21:32:47 EDT

This went out this AM - but apparently didn't.

One thing (of many, granted) that I do agree with Collins in his book (and
expressed elsewhere) is that one's worldview affects how you see and
interpret the information. I would have to say that is true here, and also
say that I disagree with you on this point, but leave it at that for now.
More on this later, I'm sure!

kind regards,

James Patterson

The point of the "anthropic coincidences" is that physical parameters of the
universe seem to be just right for the evolution of life. To say that life
- & specifically human life - didn't evolve then then weakens the argument
greatly. I.e., the anthropic principle argument is not just about the
universe, & earth in particular, being hospitable for already existing life,
but about it having the properties that make it possible for life to
develop.

& while much of the argument applies to evolution in general, the full force
of it comes with application to intelligent, & especially human, life -
hence the term "anthropic." This is especially important for a Christian
interpretation that is going to emphasize God's creation of an intelligent
species, us, as an important feature of God's purpose.