RE: [asa] Greetings - An introduction

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 22:11:50 EDT

1st I want to apologize for the clumsiness of my posts. I'm not getting messages posed on the list - mine or anyone else's - & have to take them from the archives & paste things together.

I reply here to James & Dick who responded (below) to my statement about RTB. ("Unfortunately rejection of human evolution removes most of the force of fine tuning arguments emphasized by RTB. At best they become mere numerology.")

The point of the "anthropic coincidences" is that physical parameters of the universe seem to be just right for the evolution of life. To say that life - & specifically human life - didn't evolve then then weakens the argument greatly. I.e., the anthropic principle argument is not just about the universe, & earth in particular, being hospitable for already existing life, but about it having the properties that make it possible for life to develop.

& while much of the argument applies to evolution in general, the full force of it comes with application to intelligent, & especially human, life - hence the term "anthropic." This is especially important for a Christian interpretation that is going to emphasize God's creation of an intelligent species, us, as an important feature of God's purpose.

From: James Patterson <james000777@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 20:39:15 EDT

        ?

Please explain. I do not see the connection.