Re: [asa] New page

From: <james000777@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 10:58:08 EDT

With regard to the veracity of the number 666, I believe that the earliest manuscripts list the number as "616". Daniel Wallace from Dallas Theological Seminary states in his interview with Lee Stroebel (in "The Case for the Real Jesus") that he personally examined the manuscript and verified the 616 under a microscope. However, I do know that this is disputed by others - they recognize that the earlier manuscript reads 616, but defend the number 666 found in other (later) manuscripts for various reasons.

Thus, building a numerological argument on 666 may be building on a copying error in early manuscripts. It would be interesting to see what could be done with 616, although I hesitate to encourage this sort of thing.

Purely an academic interest. :)

-------------- Original message from gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>: --------------