RE: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: George Cooper <georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 09:31:03 EDT

Great point, Dick. Soul-less humans demonstrating a spiritual nature
seems oxymoronic. If Adam was the first "living soul" then how could
humans 10,000 years ago be so spiritual? [I suspect the real age may extend
beyond 15,000 years since Aborigines and other races were older than
Clovis.]

One answer is Adam predates all "spiritual" homo sapiens. Thus, the 6000
years for Adam derived only by genealogies is in error. This was a bit
hard for me to swallow at first since the begats were very specific linking
father and son. But, portions of these genealogies are found in various
locations of the O.T. and, surprisingly (though you likely already know),
they don't agree with each other. There are at least 6 generations missing
in a comparison between a lengthy genealogy list found in Ezra and
Chronicles. This opens the door to allowing a time much greater than
Usher's dating, but it raises the question as to why gaps would exist in
these genealogy accounts. One obvious problem would be the fact that the
actual number of generations between Adam and Abraham would be in the
hundreds, then memorizing all of them would be quite a burden for both
parent and child in learning and teaching hundreds of chronological names.
Perhaps the names that are chosen for memory are done so according to either
their prominence in society or that they names fit some sort of poetic
meter. Any chance of these names fit some sort of mnemonic advantage, Dick?

Another possibility is that God elected at some point after Adam to extend
that which He gave Adam and Eve to all homo sapiens, perhaps after the fall
when they would have reproduced and sent their children out to mix with the
pre-Adamites.

One allusion, though slight, to the idea of both pre-Adamites and their
possible limited spiritual state is found in the verse that establishes
Jubal as the father of the harp (not the flute). I understand that the
word for harp does indicate it is not a flute, but something much greater.
If flutes were, essentially, the first manufactured instrument and they
predate Adam's period then it makes sense that Jubal would not be credited
with the first instrument, but the first advanced musical instrument (ie
harp). Just how superior a harp would be in indicating spirituality is a
tough question, admittedly, but it is worth mentioning.

"Coope"