Re: [asa] The end is near? LHC

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 00:52:27 EDT

If the predicted black holes result simply from TeV magnitudes of energy, any "danger" from them is a non-issue. Cosmic rays with energies of at least 10^19 eV have been bombarding our upper atmosphere presumably for billions of years with no apparent adverse consequences. 10^19 eV = 10^7 TeV. My PhD research tried to find quarks in cosmic ray air showers generated by primary cosmic rays with energies larger than 10^15 eV.

As impressive as the LHC is, its energies are still far below the maximum that nature provides.

Don