[asa] The Big Sleep

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 18:56:56 EDT

To those of the forum who minister the Gospel of Christ - especially Michael Roberts, George Murphy and Murray Hogg:

As recorded particularly in the Gospel of Mark, a significant part of our Lord's ministry had to do with the unmasking and casting out of demons - those evil manifestations of the supernatural realm which had gained access to the minds and/or bodies of particular individuals; and this, _with God's approval_ (surprising, perhaps, until one remembers the prologue to the Book of Job) for Jesus was empowered to evict them! Yet, today, his leading representatives on earth rarely acknowledge - or even mention - what are, in fact, highly informative matters! The lay person may thus, falsely, be led to believe that such unpleasantries are no longer an integral part of the human experience - having disappeared following the Resurrection, perhaps. However, that is not how the Apostles saw it (see, for example, Ephesians 6) - nor, I believe, if we are true to our calling, should we!

I am therefore left wondering, gentlemen, how it is that (along with Richard dawkins et al) you are able to maintain, with apparent equanimity, a strictly _natural_ approach to ultimate origins . Or am I, as a Christian and scientist, missing something?

Vernon

PS In the preface to his "Screwtape Letters", C.S.Lewis wrote: "There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight."