Re: [asa] The end is near? LHC

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 17:11:53 EDT

I asked about this on the Christians in Science website, and someone posted
the following link to a very detailed paper:
http://lsag.web.cern.ch/lsag/CERN-PH-TH_2008-025.pdf

Abstract as follows:

We analyze macroscopic effects of TeV-scale black holes, such as could
possibly
be produced at the LHC, in what is regarded as an extremely hypothetical
scenario
in which they are stable and, if trapped inside Earth, begin to accrete
matter. We
examine a wide variety of TeV-scale gravity scenarios, basing the resulting
accretion
models on first-principles, basic, and well-tested physical laws. These
scenarios fall
into two classes, depending on whether accretion could have any macroscopic
effect
on the Earth at times shorter than the Sun's natural lifetime. We argue that
cases
with such effect at shorter times than the solar lifetime are ruled out,
since in these
scenarios black holes produced by cosmic rays impinging on much denser white
dwarfs
and neutron stars would then catalyze their decay on timescales incompatible
with
their known lifetimes. We also comment on relevant lifetimes for
astronomical objects
that capture primordial black holes. In short, this study finds no basis for
concerns that
TeV-scale black holes from the LHC could pose a risk to Earth on time scales
shorter
than the Earth's natural lifetime. Indeed, conservative arguments based on
detailed
calculations and the best-available scientific knowledge, including solid
astronomical
data, conclude, from multiple perspectives, that there is no risk of any
significance
whatsoever from such black holes.

-----

when I posted the link to the Rap video on my blogsite, within an hour, one
of the end-of-the-world prophets had posted a comment on it; and this is
nomally a blog site that no-one except people I know make comments on. It
seems to be a hot topic.

Iain