Re: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 12:22:25 EDT

Bethany,

The "no sickness, no tears, no pain, no death" that conflicts with science
is an interpretation of Genesis, not what it actually says. In fact, one
might ask how Adam was supposed to understand what it meant to die the day
he ate from the tree if he hadn't seen something that was dead. The Garden
required watering and a human gardener. The really unusual thing in the
Garden was the tree of life. It isn't until near the end of Chapter 3 that
we get even a clue as to what it was for. I think that that is where the
question of literal interpretation and agreement or disagreement with
science is most readily raised.

Revelation builds on themes from the Old Testament. Just as Genesis almost
from the beginning introduces the Garden of Eden, Revelation almost at the
end describes a new Garden of Eden. However it is far more than a
recycling. In the new Garden or city there is no sun, no moon, and no
night. This is seen as being much better than the old Garden.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)