Re: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: Bethany Sollereder <bsollereder@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 22:37:18 EDT

Merv,

I'd agree with you that we have a choice to make. And in light of the other
literature speaking of the 'paradise when the world began', I think the
Biblical author meant that it was a literal paradise, but I think we must
say that (in light of modern science) there was never a paradise and thus
the story is not literal. In doing so, we give up our addiction to
historical concordism. A difficult, but necessary, step.

David, I think you can have perfect paradise, and still having 'work'. In
fact I don't think it could be paradise without man to have something to do:
we would be redundant without a task. But the task was not a painful one,
not one that would strain man beyond the pleasantness of the paradise he
works in. C.S. Lewis gives a nice imagining of what this could look like in
*Perelandra*. Yes, man had a task. But it was paradise.

Bethany