Re: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 20:10:32 EDT

Yes Merv, when I say "ontological reality," I don't necessarily mean "a
verifiable 'historical' moment."

BTW, I found an even better quote from Von Rad (p. 80):

"[chapter 2, verse 15] indicates man's purpose in being in the garden: he
is to work it and preserve it from all damage, a destiny tha tcontrasts
decided with the commonly accepted fantastic ideas of 'Paradise.' . . .
There is 'nothing here about abunded wonders of fertility and sensual
enjoyment', but work was man's sober destiny even in his original state.
That man was transferred to the garden to guard it indicates that he was
called to a state of service and had to prove himself in a realm tha twas
not his own possessio. in the ensuing divine address the misunderstanding
of the garden as an Elysium for sensual enjoyment is completely destroyed."

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law