Re: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 18:22:04 EDT

David Opderbeck wrote:
> Someone told me I'm misunderstanding "natural evil" here. A car
> skidding off the road is "natural evil" if it is not the result of
> intended human action. The specific question, though, was about a
> tire exploding. I think of that as the result of intended human
> action because the tire is manufactured to certain specifications.
> It's probably possible to make a tire that would never explode, but we
> choose to accept the risk of some number of explosions because
> completely safe tires are too costly to make (and product liability
> law and insurance exist to manage that risk). As to the car skidding
> off the road, I guess that depends on whether the driver was acting
> negligently or recklessly -- e.g., driving too fast on a snowy day.
>
> In any event, let's say the driver was acting perfectly reasonably,
> the car hits some black ice, and skids off the road. This would be
> considered the result of "natural evil." Ice was ice before the fall
> and the laws of physics, we assume, haven't changed. Following my
> speculation about technology, perhaps a mode of transportation could
> be invented / discovered that avoids dangerous contact between tires
> and ice -- an automated air system? perfectly automated trains?
> transporter beams :-)? Or if there is perfect fellowship between God
> and humans, perhaps God or his angels give a warning over the Onstar
> system. Or maybe we have a society in which rapid travel by car isn't
> widely needed?
>
> The point is, it seems to me, that concerning the impact of "natural
> evil" on people, the focus needs to be on the environmental management
> human-human / human-Divine fellowship. Given the amazing things we
> take for granted today that didn't exist even 20 years ago -- the
> world wide web, bioengineering -- it seems not unreasonable to me to
> include technology as an important component here.

No matter how "perfect" a technology or technological society is, there
is no dodging at least some "natural evil" (as we choose to call it.)
The only way human sin could influence catastrophic asteroid collisions
or earthquakes is by divine fiat. And no matter how well situated or
equitable any society is some suffering will happen no matter where or
how the poor & rich live (at least according to the workings of nature
as we see it now.)

So either we have some sort of supernatural "golden age" where nothing
works like it does now. Or we have a world in which physical suffering
& death are integrated into it from the beginning of life. Any of us
that now adhere to evolutionary creationism have chosen the latter as
the most likely to square with everything we think we understand
theologically and scientifically; (In which case the fall and death are
spiritual and the particulars of the story are figurative) That is
the forced choice, is it not?

--Merv